Foodiesuz asked her readers what their top 10 can’t-live-without kitchen staples were. Mine are:
1. soy sauce
2. olive oil
3. cheese of all kinds
7. fresh vegetables
8. fresh fruit
9. whole grain bread
10. peanut butter
And I figure I might as well jump on the bandwagon and do a “25 Random Things About Me” with a food twist.
1. I have a serious addiction to cheese.
2. I despise durian and any product that tastes remotely like it (i.e. candy, ice cream, etc.)
3. I don’t like coffee. Not even mocha ice cream. But I like eating Coffee Crisp.
4. When I was a kid I hated eating rice. Sacrilege, when you’re Chinese. Good thing I grew out of that.
5. As a kid I couldn’t eat hot (as in spicy peppers) things. The other day I ordered a curry laksa at the hottest flavour the restaurant had.
6. I’m not a fan of McDonald’s, but since I started this healthy eating thing I’ve been craving their burgers.
7. I have a serious addiction to dark chocolate.
8. As a kid I read the Chronicles of Narnia and bugged my mother to buy me some Turkish Delight to try. Didn’t like it much and was very disappointed.
9. I grew up drinking Ribena concentrate, Ovaltine, and Milo. I still drink Ribena regularly.
10. I make a fake-y lazy grilled cheese by toasting bread, buttering it, sticking fat-free processed cheese on top, and microwaving it for 15 seconds to melt the cheese.
11. I try to eat at least one banana per day.
12. I don’t like oatmeal. Except when they’re in cookies.
13. None of my dishware, cutlery, or cups match.
14. I have 9 kinds of tea in my house at the moment.
15. The most used appliance (other than the stove/oven) in my house is my toaster.
16. The 2nd most used appliance is my rice cooker.
17. I tend to be obsessed about food for a short period. For instance, let’s say I have a craving for an omelette. Well let’s just say that craving may last for 3 or 4 days….
18. I love carbs. Bread, and rice, and noodles, oh my!
19. I cook more than I bake. The opposite used to be true when I was younger.
20. When I was a kid, Kraft Dinner was one of my favourite meals. (I suspect it’s that cheese thing again. Even crappy cheese is good cheese!)
21. The Swedish Chef is my hero.
22. Two things I always make sure is in my freezer – frozen berries and a loaf of whole grain bread.
23. Eggs (with cheese, of course), are probably my favourite protein.
24. I need to learn how to cook more Chinese dishes.
25. I will try any food at least once.