- McDonald’s closes in Iceland as currency collapse takes a bite out of Big Mac profits
- Anthony Bourdain is coming to Calgary! He’s giving a Kitchen Confidential lecture on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010 at the Epcor Centre’s Jack Singer Concert Hall. I was lucky enough to get a one-day pre-sale code via e-mail the night before, and rashly decided to buy two tickets without having anyone confirmed to go with me. Hooray for driving to Calgary in January on a giant sheet of ice (a.k.a. the highway)! Luckily I have a good friend who will come with me. Tickets go on sale November 2 at 10 a.m., and will cost $35 to $100. http://tickets.epcorcentre.org or call 403-294-9494 for tickets. They’re also having a VIP post-show reception that will feature cheese from Janice Beaton Fine Cheese and wine from Willow Park Wines & Spirits, and I’m sure will cost an arm and a leg. (Hey if a bunch of Edmonton people go, maybe we should rent a bus? lol)
- Liane Faulder blogged about the Backstairs Secret Vegan Cafe, a new local underground restaurant, and Sharon at Only Here for the Food linked to a Vue Weekly article. Am trying to get a group of friends to go, but getting them to pick a date is like herding cats.
- People who live close to food are slightly less likely to be obese.
- I remember how horrified I was years ago to find out that grocery stores placed sugary foods lower to the ground to attract little kids (at their eye level). So this doesn’t surprise me – Marketing of unhealthy cereals to kids ‘staggering’: Yale study.