- McDonald’s closes in Iceland as currency collapse takes a bite out of Big Mac profits
- Anthony Bourdain is coming to Calgary! He’s giving a Kitchen Confidential lecture on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010 at the Epcor Centre’s Jack Singer Concert Hall. I was lucky enough to get a one-day pre-sale code via e-mail the night before, and rashly decided to buy two tickets without having anyone confirmed to go with me. Hooray for driving to Calgary in January on a giant sheet of ice (a.k.a. the highway)! Luckily I have a good friend who will come with me. Tickets go on sale November 2 at 10 a.m., and will cost $35 to $100. http://tickets.epcorcentre.org or call 403-294-9494 for tickets. They’re also having a VIP post-show reception that will feature cheese from Janice Beaton Fine Cheese and wine from Willow Park Wines & Spirits, and I’m sure will cost an arm and a leg. (Hey if a bunch of Edmonton people go, maybe we should rent a bus? lol)
- Liane Faulder blogged about the Backstairs Secret Vegan Cafe, a new local underground restaurant, and Sharon at Only Here for the Food linked to a Vue Weekly article. Am trying to get a group of friends to go, but getting them to pick a date is like herding cats.
- People who live close to food are slightly less likely to be obese.
- I remember how horrified I was years ago to find out that grocery stores placed sugary foods lower to the ground to attract little kids (at their eye level). So this doesn’t surprise me – Marketing of unhealthy cereals to kids ‘staggering’: Yale study.
Hmm. I probably should have put that Fat Duck entry in with this one. Oh well.
Anthony Bourdain’s Guide to Food Television – very amusing
Did anyone watch Chopping Block? Marco was acting way too much like the Godfather. And it was kinda boring. The food wasn’t shown as much as I would have liked. I miss Top Chef.
Everyone has been linking to This Is Why You’re Fat. But did you know that they’re claiming free publishing rights on every photo that people have sent in? And that they’re shopping for a book deal? The photographer in me is cringing.
That two-jawed mutant fish from the oil sands? Not two-jawed and not mutated, as it turns out.