- Want some free pulled pork sandwiches? Alberta’s pork industry will be serving up free food at two rallies being held – one in Edmonton today (Tuesday) at the Alberta Legislature and one in Calgary on Wednesday at the McDougall Centre, between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- The City Market, Edmonton’s downtown farmers’ market, was named one of the top 10 in Canada. Opening day is May 16th, and they have a newly redesigned website too!
- Every Friday through September, be one of the first 250,000 people to this site and get a coupon for a free chocolate bar from the Mars company. U.S. only, unfortunately. Boooo.
- Jamie Oliver to star in a new show where he saves Americans from themselves and their bad eating habits.
- Vandal caught covered in chocolate syrup.
- The James Beard Awards winners were announced.
- SunChips have announced that in 2010 they will introduce a fully-compostable chip bag. And they’ve teamed up with National Geographic to create the Green Effect initiative to encourage environmental innovation; the top five ideas get $20,000 US.
Are you gonna eat that? linked to this Cambridge student’s food blog research project. Click to see a photo of (part of) my refrigerator and contribute to her survey. (And no, I don’t really drink that much soy milk in a week. They were on sale and the cartons last a while.)
Avenue Edmonton has an article on the “hidden” ethnic parts of Edmonton, mostly focusing on food.
From Serious Eats: Is Artisanal, Handmade Food Always Better?
On April 5, the Food Network will be broadcasting a new show called the 100 Mile Challenge. It follows 6 families for 100 days, and the website even includes a 100 Mile meal planner tool and a directory of where you can find local food all over Canada.
When is a recipe YOUR recipe and not someone else’s? Watch this educational video on intellectual property for the food and hospitality industry. The video is of a bunch of lawyers talking so it’s not the most dynamic thing to watch, but they keep it fairly simple and show you real examples. The recipe part starts at about 10:22.
Jamie Oliver is now Britian’s top selling author, beating out J.K. Rowling, Nigella Lawson and Delia Smith.
The British chef olympics