- Hershey kisses vs an upscale Champagne kiss by Jacques Torres
- David Lebovitz recently took a chocolate making class at Valrhona. Yes, I am very envious.
- baking masterclass by Dan Lepard – cookie and biscuits baking tips
- Heston Blumenthal set to open first London restaurant?
- Food writer and cookbook author Fuchsia Dunlop and Bar Shu owner Shao Wei open new London restaurant Ba Shan, which serves a mix of Xi’an and Sichuan cuisine.
- Serious Eats posted photos of seriously creepy looking dried skate rays called Jenny Hanivers. Don’t click on it if visuals haunt you in your dreams. I can’t believe people actually make them look like that!
- Bacon won So Good’s Meat Madness (click on the link to see the completed bracket chart and percentage breakdown). I wonder if bacon would have still won if the news about the swine flu had broken before the end of the competition? The misconception about how you can catch it is hurting pork product sales.
- It has been confirmed that the rumours are true; the next season of Top Chef will be filmed in Las Vegas. Too bad filming will be done before my trip there! It would have been fun to catch a glimpse of them running around.
- And speaking of Top Chef, here’s a “Where are they now” article on past cheftestants (from last year so no idea if it’s outdated).
- As of April 20th, McDonald’s Canada is giving away free coffee during breakfast for two weeks.
- Starbucks to sell gluten-free pastry in the U.S.
- Why are carrots orange?
- Where did the term “foodie” come from?
- Powerade vs Gatorade – Pepsi sues Coke over false advertising for drinks that we shouldn’t be drinking anyway unless we’re running marathons or training for the Olympics
- So Good’s meat madness is in it’s final matchup – steak vs. bacon. Voting is open until Friday noon. Steak was winning yesterday, but now bacon seems to be edging out steak.
- The new world’s 50 best restaurants list has been released and there’s a notable exclusion.
- 25 things chefs hate about you
- 25 things diners hate about restaurants
- This brings a whole new meaning to food notes.
- And lastly, this site has been making the rounds of various websites. It’s pretty amusing but if you don’t like foul language you’ll probably want to stay away. Fuck Yeah Cilantro.
Meat Madness – vote and watch your favourite proteins face off, bracket-style.
Cyrus causes salmonella – sorry, couldn’t resist. Disney’s Hannah Montana Peanut Chocolate Granola Bars are being recalled though.
Toronto launches (possibly unnecessary) project to expand street food offerings.
Shiitake mushrooms and green tea may fight breast cancer according to study of Chinese women.
If you haven’t read it by now, read Incanto’s letter Shock & Foie: The War Against Dietary Self-Determinism (the restaurant where Chris Cosentino is chef).
Beautifully written food and family memory from Gourmet’s Francis Lam. This is more like the Hong Kong I remember, rather than the Hong Kong I saw last spring.